Employment and Internship Opportunities
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Fraser Valley is committed to sustaining an environment where representation matters, diversity is celebrated and people of every race, religion, culture, gender and sexual orientation are welcomed. We acknowledge and honour the diversity of people, cultures, traditions and experiences, and we recognize and uphold the right of all individuals to respect, dignity, fairness, caring, equality, self-esteem and inclusion.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Fraser Valley is now accepting preliminary applications for positions under the 2023 Canada Summer Jobs Program.
(Positions are pending approval of funding by the Government of Canada)
Position: Youth Worker (Temporary- Canada Summer Jobs Program)
Reports to: Program Manager
Start & End Date: To be determined (between 8 – 16 weeks anytime between May – August)
Hours: 35 hours per week (mostly day-time hours, however some evening and weekends will be required
Locations: Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge
The Youth Worker will provide support to the Mentoring Coordinators with casework management, assist with recruitment, supervision, monitoring and evaluation of both the volunteer mentors and youth participating in our programs. This role will also include the execution and supervision of our summer day camp programs for youth.
- demonstrates belief in BBBS Mission, Vision and Diversity statements of the agency
- respects the policies, including privacy and confidentiality
- communicates tactfully and respectfully, modelling a professional demeanor
- exhibits and models appropriate oral and written communication skills
- exhibits and models sound organizational and planning skills
- assist with recruitment and intake of volunteer mentors
- assist with orientation, assessment of youth referred to our agency
- support child safety training program with volunteers, youth and parent/guardian
- coordinate and facilitate in person group activities with youth including our summer day camps
- support supervision of active caseload matches in accordance with National Standards
- maintain case notes and appropriate documentation in accordance with National Standards
- update Service Delivery Platform database as needed/required
- participate in the planning of various outings, events, fundraisers and activities as needed
- participate in public events for the purpose of recruiting and raising awareness of our agency
- educational focus in Child and Youth Care, Social Work, Criminology, Psychology, Education or other related studies
- experience working with youth;
- or an equivalent combination of each
- working with youth and/or managing group dynamics with youth
- strong communication skills
- basic counselling skills (attending, active listening, empathy, etc.)
- computer proficiency; working knowledge of client records management systems
Requirements (*Canada Summer Jobs Program requirements)
- be between 19 and 30 years of age at the start of employment*
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of employment*
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada*
- current class 5 drivers’ license (unrestricted) and acceptable Driver’s Abstract
- clear Criminal Records Check
- second language proficiency
- current First Aid Training certification and Food Safe certification
Starting rate: $18.25/hour + 4% vacation pay
Please apply, in writing, to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please. Only qualified applicants will be considered.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Fraser Valley is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Thank you for your interest!
Stay updated by following our Facebook and Instagram accounts.